He also received puppy pajamas from his Grandma Cooper and a cute little puppy stuffed animal.
When he opened the birthday package that my mom sent him and saw the little puppy he jumped in excitement, his hands shot out and grabbed it, and he brought it back and hugged it to his chest. He then gently kissed it on the nose. We were all laughing hysterically at this point because of his reaction (my mom was watching on Skype and was laughing too!).
He took the little puppy to bed with him that night and has slept with it each night since.
As I've thought about this little puppy I came to a realization: husbands are like puppies...we need to be loved. Have you ever seen a dog that isn't loved? What an ugly, pathetic, and sad creature. Husbands that don't know they are loved (or that forget) can get to be the same way.
To ensure that this doesn't happen on my watch (I mean, what's worse than a pathetic husband? We just get all whiny and irritating) I have composed a list of 13 ways wives can show/remind their husbands that they love them. Here you are:
- Show an interest. Whatever is important to him, whether that is his work, a hobby, or something else, try to care about and be interested in it. We want to share our lives with you, that's why we married you, and work and hobbies are a large part of our lives. Spend time getting to know that part of who we are.
- Be proud to be his wife. Tell him that you are proud of him and glad that you are his wife and, and this is important, tell him WHY you are proud of him and glad to be his wife.
- A Massage. On a particularly hard day (or for no reason at all) sit him down and give him a massage. He'll love it.
- Make his favorite dessert. The way to a man's heart is through his stomach and speaking as a man I can tell you that it definitely true.
- Listen to what he has to say. I have friends whose wives are so excited and anxious to tell their husbands about their day that the husbands never get a chance to share. Take a minute or two at least every so often and actually listen to your husband tell you about his day. It will show him he's important to you and bring you closer together as he shares another part of his life with you.
- Wear that one outfit. Pay attention to your husband's reactions to what you wear. When you find an outfit to which he responds particularly well make plans to wear it again often. He'll appreciate it.
- Say thank you. In our busy lives we often forget to thank others for the small things that they do for us. Thank your husband for taking out the trash, getting the oil in the car changed, and fixing that leaky pipe. He'll feel loved and will begin showing you appreciation for the little things that you do as well.
- Defend your husband. My wife shares with me that she often finds herself with different groups of friends that are bashing their husbands. She doesn't participate. One time several years ago it was a group of coworkers that were talking about how their husbands irritate them. They asked Cami what about me irritated her and she responded that she couldn't think of anything because she focused on the things that she loved about me. The conversation ended pretty quickly after that.
- Let him win...sometimes. I love playing games with Cami. Except for Battleship. I don't think I have ever beat her at Battleship (I'm pretty sure she cheats, I just can't figure out how). But with other games, because she knows I like to win, I'm pretty sure that from time to time she let's me win. I appreciate that.
- Need to be protected. In today's world with all of the woman's rights and woman's equality propaganda and efforts too often women don't let their husbands be the protector. You don't need to be weak and submissive but let him protect you. Whether that is by sleeping closest to the door or walking between you and a creepy person on the street it doesn't matter. The thing that is important to us as men is that we can protect those that we love most: our wives and children.
- Work with him. I love it when Cami comes out into the yard and helps me pull leaves and holds boards for me while I nail them into place. I get to spend time with her, she is showing me that I am important enough to her that she wants to spend time with me, and the work gets done much faster allowing me to spend more time with her. Work with your husband.
- Watch his movie. We watch a lot of romantic comedies and that's okay. I actually enjoy them too but I can only take so much. Cami is sweet and often cedes the movie picking to me and that's when we watch the fun movies (where there's action and adventure!). Just like me watching the romantic comedies shows Cami that she's important to me and I love her the same is true when she let's me pick the movie. It's one of the ways I know that she loves me.
- Forgive him. We men do dumb things. I believe it is in our nature. Please forgive us. And when you've forgiven forget about it too. I'm grateful that each time I do something dumb I'm not reminded of all of the dumb things I've ever done.
Who knows, this may just be the start of a new movement. We'll call it WAPH (Wives Against Pathetic Husbands). Maybe not...
What do you do to show your husband that you love him? Let me know in the comments!
Due to the popularity of this post, and the need we men have to be told we're loved, I want to make sure you're aware of Uplifting Love: Secrets to Making a Good Marriage Great. This book will not only help you show your husband that you love him it will help you improve your entire marriage!
You think you're happy now, and I'm sure you are, but I challenge you to read Uplifting Love and apply what you learn today to make your marriage awesome! Don't wait another minute, start taking your marriage from good to great today!
Purchase your copy of Uplifting Love: Secrets to Making a Good Marriage Great right now and have it delivered to your inbox immediately! In just a matter of minutes you'll be on your way to having the marriage that your friends and family envy. Don't delay, get your copy today!