Recently my wife read a book by Nicholas Sparks, The Wedding (this is an affiliate link). She really enjoyed it and thought it would be something that I would like to read as well. After considerable encouragement I decided to read it. At the very least we would have that in common and something to talk about. I've actually really enjoyed the book.
One of the things that I found most enjoyable about reading it was the reminiscing. The main character spends a lot of time remembering early events in his relationship with his wife. Events like when they first met, their first date, first kiss, the early days after they were married, when their children were young, when he proposed, etc. What was really fun for me about all of this is that I started reminiscing too. Then, next thing you know, Cami and I are doing it together.
Talking a walk down memory lane may be one of the best ways to spend time with your spouse this weekend. It brings back feelings you may not have felt in some time (and if you have it intensifies them) and it's fun. Here are five suggestions to get you started:
- Pull out your wedding album, flip through the pages, and share with each other what you were thinking when the pictures were taken
- Did your first date go as planned? If your experience was like the one I had with Cami then it didn't. Think back on how it was supposed to be versus how it ended up. It will put a smile on your face.
- When and where did you meet? Why did he ask you out (or vice-versa)? Why did you say yes?
- What one thing have the two of you never told anyone about?
- Share with each other what the most difficult thing about him/her was for you to get used to after you got married
Now, I have just one question for you: when was the last time you reminisced with your spouse?
Leave me a comment letting me know how it went. Also, I implore you to sign up for my free newsletter (if you haven't done so already). :)